Sunday, March 9

Seeing Events As Tests
From the teachings of Mawlana Shaykh Muhammad Nazim Adil al-Haqqani,

"Years ago as I was walking with my Grandsheikh in Damascus, a football that some boys were playing with hit me on the head and knocked off my turban. I got very angry and turned around, shouting; “Oh you miserable, misbehaved brat!” Grandsheihk said; “Oh Nazim Effendi, you have just lost your faith. How can you claim to believe that everything comes from Allah Almighty when you are ready to blame someone for something that hits you on the head? Do you not know that Allah is the Original Cause of that event? So why are you blinded by secondary causes? When that ball hit you why did you look to see which one threw it in order to quarrel with him? Do you not know that it is from Allah?”

Then I recited the confession of faith to renew my faith.

The level of faith that our Grandsheikh was referring to is the level of prophets and saints. We are trying to attain to that level, and when men reach that level, peace will reign on earth. The reason for all trouble on earth, for all wars and suffering is that people have lost sight of their Lord’s Will behind all events. They have lost sight of the hand of the One who is testing them through those events. They have stopped seeing events as tests from their Lord. Therefore they continue failing those tests."

No comments: